- Japanese knot bag handcrafted with Kauna by our skilled women artisans in Manipur (North-East India). Kauna is the Manipuri name for bull rush, a type of water reed.
- Handcrafted Vegan Leather – Our vegan leather is a flexible, durable biocomposite material made from entirely organic and sustainable bacterial cellulose, grown on agricultural waste sourced from the coconut industry in South India.
Handcrafted and Unique
Every ZIVELI bag is one of a kind, handcrafted using natural fibres. Colour and size of the reeds may vary, and makes each of our pieces truly unique. Tiny blemishes are a natural flaw, because nothing in nature is perfect, and that is what makes everything perfect. Vegan leather colour may vary as per the availability.
- Keep the bag away from moisture
- If your ZIVELI bag gets dirty, wipe gently with a soft, damp cloth and dry it well
- During monsoons, in case of fungus infestation, clean with white vinegar
- Use neutral leather polish on Vegan leather
Kauna reed is a perennial grass-like plant that grows all around the world at different temperatures and can grow as tall as 10 feet in shallow water or on marshy land. The plant is naturally resistant to insects. We at ZIVELI work with women in Manipur, to craft our Japanese knot bag.
How this Bag is Made
Artisans cut the Kauna Reed when the plant grows to about 3-4 feet and sun dries the reed. They moisten the reed again to increase flexibility during hand weaving of Bags & Baskets. The tools used in the weaving process are very simple. The artisans need a regular needle for stitching and of course a sharp pair of scissors or pliers for cutting purposes.
Ethical & Sustainable
ZIVELI started with 50 women artisans 3 years ago and now we work with 200+ Artisans. Since we started our artisan’s monthly income has tripled and they are now guaranteed, regular work for 7-8 months of the year. Their spending power has increased and this has resulted in phenomenal overall development of the region.